Monday, August 15, 2011


I've finished a feather for Jude's Magic Feather Project. (There is a link at the bottom of this page.) I used a piece of onion dyed cotton and 'invisibly' basted it to a backing with a green thread, letting the little dots show. After I drew my feather I realised it was too big and the stitches would be more than 1/4 inch!  But it seems to have turned out OK with a bit of  'smashing' and a good press.Now I'm onto the next one!
On my walk this morning I passed some large trees that had fallen in the cyclone. On the ends that have been cut with a saw there were some feathers!

My dyeing efforts with the soy sauce and seed heads were partly successful. The soy sauce gave a soft yellow colour (the smell washed out fine), and the seed head/wood gave a pale pinky/orange effect. So with my tea and onion dyed fabric I now have several pieces of soft coloured cotton if I want to keep making feathers.


  1. That is so beautiful and delicate Deb. Yet bold and strong at the same time. How I envy you your stitching skill!

  2. Thank you Amanda. I really enjoyed doing it. I have made another one and have started a third!