Friday, June 3, 2011

Bowling hoops

The next photo I used to make a small quilt was a picture of my grandmother (top right) as a young girl with her sisters and younger brother. I love the way she has her hands around her brother's neck! This was probably taken in Wales before the family emigrated to Australia.
This time I used an old doily as the background for my applique. All the applique pieces are held down with Vliesofix and then a small zigzag stitch around the edges. I had fun looking at the photo and then choosing appropriate fabrics for the clothes. Lots of hand stitching in the background.

3 comments:

  1. wow. great picture and amazing interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! And love all those old fashioned names. So sweet....you did a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore that photo of your grandmother and her siblings! So lovely.

    ReplyDelete