Tuesday, October 30, 2012

More Breast Pockets

I have made some more breast pockets for Melanie. Read about her project here.
She needs a lot more pockets to reach her goal of 1000 and she has extended the deadline.
Mine are made from two coordinating pieces of fabric with a button and some hand stitching added. Two of them are made from old appliqued napkins. They are quick and easy to do. And fun!

The weather has warmed up and there is wildlife to be seen on the beach and in the back yard! This lizard sat on the fence post catching the sun and watching me weed. He wasn't put off when I brought out the camera. Perhaps he knew he was going to star on my blog!

This cockatoo has spent several days in the pine tree at the back being very vocal and chewing away at the new pine cones.

Seagulls enjoying the lovely weather and calm seas.

Four baby magpies having a ball playing in the bird baths and sprinkler.

And a tiny Red-capped Plover whizzing around on the beach with it's partner.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Breast pockets

I have made some 'breast pockets' for Melanie Testa. She is aiming to collect 1000 breast pockets in support of woman with breast cancer who choose not to have reconstructive surgery after a mastectomy. You can read more about it here.
I don't know any 'flatties' but have a friend who has had a lot of problems with her reconstructive surgery. I have always thought that if I was in the same situation I would go 'flat'.
These were fun to make - playing with commercial and dyed fabrics and adding a little bit of hand stitching.

Friday, October 12, 2012

Red and blue

Red and blue on my walk this morning. The red flowers are Australian bottlebrush. Not sure what the blue ones are but the bees were enjoying themselves!

Still stitching my Kantha style piece. I can't stop! I am nearing the edge of the linen now so I have to start thinking of how I am going to finish this. It feels lovely, very floppy and heavy with all the stitches.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

September challenges

The end of September, so my additions to the A Letter a Week challenge, and a small finished quilt for our Stitching Across the Ditch challenge as well.
This time the theme was Tracks so I took the theme literally and did some railway tracks! I really liked the graphic image of the tracks and used some purple and limey green shot cottons. I then quilted with big seed stitches all over the background using some hand dyed thread.